Did you know! Technically rice water is not a protein treatment, the strengthening effect comes mainly from Inositol which is a carbohydrate and helps temporarily repair & strengthen the hair strand.
Fermented rice water is rich in antioxidants, minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and vitamins E, niacin, riboflavin and thiamine.
*Tip* Other happy hair things the Yao women do!
1. Almost always wear protective styles: single women tie their hair with scarves, married women wrap their hair with “extensions” made of their own shed and cut hair.
2. Never use shampoo: they add tea bran which has saponins (like our soapberry shampoo) to the mix and use that only to wash their hair.
3. Only use cool, fresh spring/river water to wash their hair.
4. No tension hair styles: they use no hair elastics or clips, just their own hair to make a ponytail and wooden combs to hold the styles in place.
5. They comb their hair up to 3 times a day, helping distribute sebum.
6. Everything hair is done using inversion; they comb, shampoo and rinse with their hair upside down and from back to front.
7. Lead physically active, healthy lifestyles. Fresh rural mountain air, simple living, lots of walking and physical labour is a part of their everyday life.